Saturday, March 15, 2014

My Laurel Day, Part 3

After the speeches, you are given the regalia associated with the rank. These symbols are made by your friends. First Brid asked me to return my apprentice belts (I was wearing 2). She replaced it with her Laurel belt.
Her belt had been made for her several years ago by Isabel de Bayonne, another apprentice sister. It is beautiful double weave tablet weaving with laurel leaves all along it. Isabel created the weaving pattern herself. Someday I may understand tablet weaving enough to make such a complex pattern; this belt will certainly inspire me to try. I know how much this belt means to Brid, and I cherish her for caring enough to pass it on to me.

Next I was given a back cloth. This is a Viking woman's cloak that attaches to the brooches. It was made by my friend Vibeke. She is an expert in natural dyes. She dyed the wool and silk trim with indigo - such a beautiful color blue! It is embroidered down the sides with laurel leaves. The embroidery is made with stitches found at the Oseberg ship burial. Vibeke spun the thread and dyed it and the silk leaves with weld. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would own something made by Vibeke. It is so pretty!


Next I received a hood made by Arnlief and Frigga. It is based on the Skjoldehamn, Norway find, dated to 1095. While it is made a little larger than the original, the pattern is the same. I love this ingenious pattern which is made using the minimum amount of fabric possible, and no waste. A roundel of laurel leaves surrounded by silver wire weaving, is appliqued to the front panel of the hood. Frigga made many, many enamel leaves which make a border around the hood. Hidden inside is a delicate border of what has locally come to be called "the Ose stitch," although I didn't discover it; I merely taught it to my friends. All of the embroidery on the hood was made using wool thread which I had spun. They had tricked my into giving it to them for a different project. (I wonder if that was a real project, or just an excuse.)

I received a medallion. Everyone receives a medallion when they are inducted into an order, but this one is very special. The laurel medallion itself was designed by Jean-Paul Ducasse. The silver chain to hold it is done with Viking wire weaving, made by Frigga. There are 6 beautiful glass beads on the chain, made by Irene von Lassen. Two of them are decorated with laurel leaves. I will feel special every time I wear this necklace.

I received a fillet, made by Ruth Baraskya. She sews the most delicate embroidery of anyone I know. This fillet is made of maroon wool with tiny leaves and beads embroidered along its length. I will wear this often.

I was next given a veil, based on grave finds from Viking Dublin. This was woven by Siobhan. It is the finest, most delicate weaving I have ever seen. It will make me proud to be able to show off her work.

Each piece of regalia is layered on, one after the other. I was quite hot by this time. The final piece I was given was a nalbinding hat, made by Arnlief. It is made using my favorite stitch, with blue and green spiral stripes, as has been found at Finnish sites. I've already worn this hat to work. It's perfect. Finally, the scroll was read. The calligraphy and illumination was done by Heather Rose.


After all of that you are welcomed into the Order by all of the people who are already part of the Order. That was many, many hugs. Finally you are dismissed from court. It was an overwhelming, absolutely perfect day. I don't know how Richard was able to keep so much planning secret, but I love him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment