Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Laurel Day

Along with Novice Schola, Saturday was the Kingdom Bardic Championship. To start the championship, King Kenric welcomed everyone and wished them luck. But before the performances got underway my name was called to come into court. I had no idea why. As the King was talking about things I had taught, the thought that ran through my head was, maybe he's going to ask me to run an event. And then he said, "so we put this question before you..." From that point on the day went by in a fog. Everyone was invited to come to my vigil. I asked if it was OK to say something, and I invited the students from my nalbinding class to come to the vigil and I would show them the last little bit that we hadn't had time for. This made everyone laugh, which in retrospect I understand, but I meant it when I said it.

I was led off to a beautiful room at the top of the bell tower. My friend Katherine had made the most delicious sideboard, including Viking appropriate dishes. Renata made sweets, and Jessca made cookies with laurel leaves icing.
 

Jaquelinne played tunes for me all afternoon. It created the perfect atmosphere and helped to keep me from getting too nervous. Everyone I care about came to see me, offering advice and congratulations. Lorita wrote a sonnet for me. People said not to worry about remembering what was said. I guess that's the purpose of the vigil book. But I do remember the words of some people - Mistress Brid, Duke Edward Grey, Master Toki, Countess Thyra, Mistress Annastrina, and  King Kenric. I know their exact words will fade over time, but the sentiment and support will not.

I'm told the vigil lasted many hours, but it felt like minutes. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to everyone. "Suddenly" it was time for court.

No comments:

Post a Comment