Saturday, April 26, 2014

ta da!

Where did the month of April go? While I didn't seem to find time to blog, I didn't neglect my crafts. I finished the striped socks:

I'm very happy with how they turned out. While I do not believe the original sock is quite as old as the magazine implies, it is likely to have been made no later than the early 1700's. So, that is still the earliest style of sock I have attempted. I like the garter stitch heel; it's different from others I have made.

I've also been working on a pair of nalbinding socks made using the York stitch:


The yarn is handspun Corriedale. The stitch size is just slightly larger than the original sock. I would use a much lighter color of thread if I were to do this again (the actual thread is darker than it looks in this photo). It's very hard to see the stitches, except in natural light. Also, I got cocky while working on the second sock, and didn't follow my own rule: try it on often! You can see where I've had to cut some rows out because it got too tight to go over my ankle. I've had to take out about 6 rows. Given the tiny gauge, that represents a lot of work. I will be more careful as I stitch them the second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment