Monday, July 27, 2015

Preparing for Pennsic

My favorite thing to do at Pennsic is to teach and take classes. While some classes may be better than others, I always come home energized and itching to start a new project.

When I was Mistress Brid's apprentice, she had me keep a book of quotations that inspired me, for whatever reason (not just related to fiber arts). As I am gathering together my supplies for Pennsic, I thought it would be nice to share a few sentiments I found:

"There is no better teacher than the process of teaching itself."

"General duties of a teacher: pull everything out of your students."
"General duties of a student: pull everything out of your teacher, and your fellow students."

These quotes are from a Corita Kent, an artist who taught at a small college back in the 1960's. She did amazing graphic arts work, with a social responsibility message. I was lucky enough to see an exhibit of her work a while back at The Tang, a small museum in Saratoga Springs.

So, if you are going to Pennsic, don't forget to take time away from the battles and shopping to take a class. And if you happen to be one of the many amazing teachers, you have my heartfelt thanks. I am looking forward to learning new things!


1 comment:

  1. "There is no better teacher than the process of teaching itself."
    Oh that is so true. I never learned anything half so well as when I had to turn around and teach it.

    ReplyDelete