Thursday, September 24, 2015

Starting a new relationship

An important part of being a Laurel is the commitment to passing on your knowledge. The common way to do this is to take on an apprentice. Having been the apprentice to Mistress Brid, I have big expectations for how to undertake this new relationship. It was definitely not something to rush into. But after much thought on my part, and a period as Teacher/Student, I have taken my first apprentice. Her name is Marjorie Parmentar. Her interest in fiber arts is not the same as mine, but our interests intersect. I will not be teaching her spinning or nalbinding or knitting (at least not yet). Her passion is the history of clothing design. While I do not see myself sewing late medieval period clothing, I love researching all periods and cultures of textile design. And research is where she has asked for the most guidance. I think we are a good fit. I look forward to a long friendship and an enjoyable time learning together. She has begun her first project. There is a link to her blog - To Stitch a Story - in my blog list on the right. I am very proud of her first steps. I hope you will visit her blog often and watch her skill and knowledge grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment