Saturday, September 19, 2015

Today is worldwide spin in public day.

So I did.

At first I thought it would be nice to work on finishing up the silk/alpaca blend I've been working on. It shines so beautifully in the sun. But it was very windy here today, and it was difficult to control the roving without my distaff. So I made a new plan. I had a few mystery locks that a friend had given me, and I decided it was the perfect day to spin in the grease. It was just enough to fill the comb. I combed, spun, plied, and washed. Here is my little skein, drying in the garden:

 You can see my alpaca roving on the chair; later I brought it inside to finish spinning.

 The nice thing about spinning in the grease is that the fibers don't fly all over. (Of course alpaca doesn't have grease, so it tends to be fly-away not matter what.) Also, I find I can spin a finer thread, although I spun this at a gauge to be able to add to some yarn I spun for knitting, as a little accent. I like the feel of the  lanolin on my hands, but it did make the spindle shaft a bit sticky. No problem, it washed right off.

No comments:

Post a Comment